Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Over break I saw The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe at the Wilmington Drama League because my mom produced the play.  I also was genuinely intrigued by the play because I have never seen or read the story before so I had no idea what was in store.  Turns out that it is a very different and enjoyable plot.  It is about these four kids who enter a wardrobe and enter a completely alternate universe, one in which animals speak and an evil witch ruled the area, Narnia, bringing fear to all who inhabited.  There is a prophecy in Narnia that the four children fulfill the moment they enter Narnia.  They come across many characters who help guide them and bring peace and justice to Narnia in the very end.  They eventually become the new rulers of Narnia resulting in a very happy ending.  I liked the story, but not necessarily the production itself.  The scenes and the effects that were needed in order to portray the book properly were not done that well considering the Drama League is a community theater.  So, that part was not really a part of the work that I did not like, I just did not find the set or some of the actors believable.  However, there was a huge symbol in the middle of the story which was that the good, Christ like leader of Narnia, not the witch, was put to death so the other four kids could live.  When this leader, named Aslan, was killed, he Resurrected the way Jesus did when he died to save man kind.  Aslan also died in order to save his people which is why the religious figure and the fictitious lion have a similarity.  If Aslan did not die for the kids, the outcome of the story would have been completely different and the prophecy could not be fulfilled.  Aslan knew what he had to do for the higher figure above and he did it.  He did what was right and I loved seeing this come to life because it does remind me sometimes to take the higher road when I come across a decision I must make.

No comments:

Post a Comment