Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Secret Agent

Finishing The Secret Agent allows me to spend my remaining time on analyzing the story and characters within it.  In the book, my opinion of one character drastically changes in the course of a short period of time.     In my mind, this man went from average husband, to mysterious and average husband, to self-centered and unworthy husband.  Before the tragic turn of events in which Stevie is blown to shreds, Conrad makes makes Verloc seem like an average, middle class man, not really enjoying his life but still appreciating all that he has.  Oh, and he is a secret agent.  But, Verloc has a loving wife who would do anything for him and an obedient brother-in-law Stevie.  Winnie does make it known that her husband avoids spending as much time with Stevie as he could, but Verloc reluctantly changes his ways and includes the boy more.  I believe Conrad does this metamorphosis with purpose.  He molds Verloc into this ordinary man with a secret job that he is terrible at (making Verloc seem like an underdog... leading the reader to sympathize for the man) and then confuses the reader completely telling us that Verloc accidentally blew up his wife's brother.  To me it was COMPLETELY unexpected.  When I found out that news, I did not know how to react at all.  Do I understand Verloc's side of the story?  Or do I hate Verloc for doing that heartless deed to his wife?  What also made me upset was Verloc's reaction in chapter twelve when Winnie was shut down and ignoring him (a common way to cope with sudden tragedy).  He was getting so defensive and annoyed with how she would not even look at him.  Him freaking out like that on Winnie drew the line for me.  I knew then that Verloc's head was not on straight.  Yeah, so you're scared about going to jail, but be a man, realize what you did was wrong and try to do anything you can to make your wife not hate you.  I cannot even imagine what was running through Winnie's mind.  How shocked she must have been receiving the news that her husband blew up her beloved brother.  She has every right to hate him.  But Verloc conceitedly pushes her emotions aside and demands her to care for his shop while he is gone, not giving her any time to think and recover from the horrible accident.  Verloc is in go-mode, whereas Winnie is in wait...-slow-down-mode.  I believe Conrad does this for a reason and it is to make the reader as confused and mind boggled as the characters are in the story when the explosion happens.  He utilizes the plot to change our view on the characters making ourselves as confused as the people in the story are.  Just as Winnie unexpectedly loses hope in Veloc, I did too.

1 comment:

  1. the reader sees the story as "google street view" so s/he is not ready. But I saw the inevitability of it as soon as she stuck the knife in him!

    ReplyDelete