Tuesday, October 16, 2012

This Ol' Guitar

I have always loved the poem "This Ol' Guitar" by Daniel Wittfoth.  It basically expresses everything I feel about playing guitar and how it legitimately heals the soul.  You probably did not know this, but I play the guitar and I have been since I was fifteen years old.  Three years does not seem that long to be playing but the time definitely went by slow as I picked away.  It does not take much time to develop a deep relationship with ones guitar. Guitar has always been my escape, a way to feel moved without being involved in any complicated relationship or friendship.  It pulled me away from reality and temporarily captivated my being.  I feel like Wittfoth pulls together all of my deep feelings for guitar in a simple, rustic poem.  Starting the poem with "This ol' guitar has been my best friend through thick and thin," wraps up the bond one has with their guitar in one simple statement.  No matter what happens in life, one always knows they can run away from it all when they pick up their guitar.  People come and go but the guitar remains stationary, loyally saddled to ones back looking for something new to play about.  "It has held all my thoughts, spoken them through melody, words whispered from my heart."  This is a great line too.  I feel like I always have issues describing the sensation I get when I play, but this statement wraps it all up.  The experience is inexpressible but there are words that can slightly touch on the true meaning.  Wittwoth is victorious in this poem, moving the hearts of all guitar players.  One that does not play cannot truly understand and relate to this poem because the author speaks to a reader that knows exactly what he is talking about.  The simplicity of the poem makes it's meaning deceivingly simple as well.  But, analyzing the words and attempting to comprehend them on a deep level is for from possible for those who do not play the instrument.  Also, in my eyes this poem is an ode.  It is giving thanks to the piece of wood that has the supernatural ways of making things in life seem better.  Recognizing how important this is for a guitar player, I am deeply connected to this poem because it speaks the thoughts I could never find words for without using a melody.

1 comment: