Monday, March 11, 2013

The Book My Dad Came Home With for Me

This past Saturday I was running all over the place, busy doing various things and for the hour I was home, my dad came up to me and told me he got me something.  I was very excited because who doesn't like a good present?  Especially a surprise!  But, my dad retrieves the gift and hands me a book and the title read STOP Wondering If You'll Ever Meet Him.  I took it and just smiled.  I could not believe my eyes.  That my own father is buying me self help books at the age of eighteen, let alone a love self help book.  I was dumbfounded, completely hit with the fact that my life had come to this at such a young age.  And I know how bad this must look to you Mrs. Healey and all others who may be reading this, but I swear I am not that desperate and pathetic to have my own dad buy me this.  He knows I have been pretty unlucky with guys recently and he can probably tell that I have been distressed over it.  But this distress is normal for teenage girls so there is nothing to worry about.... I hope.  Anyway, I began to read this book and I can already understand and partially relate to what it is about.  The intro brings you across this fake scenario with a girl named Julie who meets fictional Sam and they hit it off for about two nights.  Then, out of nowhere, Sam drops off the face of the earth leaving Julie sad and confused.  She thought she had gotten so close to real love and a great future even after just two dates with this man.  The writers of this book, Ryan Browning Cassaday and Jessica Cassaday, get this spot on.  Girls dream even if given the tiniest of bait from a man.  We read into literally everything they do and say and we put our every happiness on the line when we plunge in with a man.  We also exaggerate all of our feelings and make our expectations way too high for realistic.  The realistic place this book brings me down to is that love is truly out there for me, even if it takes me decades to find it.  It is nice to be reminded this right now, because quite frankly I don't even have time for a guy nor should it be one of my priorities.  It gives me comfort thinking that when the time is right, it will happen and that I won't be alone forever.  I just need to stop looking and then it will be a natural occurance.  So, I am grateful for this book even though it was most likely written for a woman in her mid twenties.

No comments:

Post a Comment