Monday, March 11, 2013

To My Dear and Loving Husband

Anne Bradstreet, to me, is a very unique poet.  She is able to speak so easily of her love for her husband and then switch directions completely and give thanks to her God that eases her troubles in great symbolism and carefully chosen words.  "To My Dear and Loving Husband" is my favorite piece of hers because of the topic.  The simplicity of the message gives me chills because she has perfect comparisons entangled in the work.  For example, her love for her husband is so large that even the riches of the earth could not mean more to her than him and that her love is like a river that cannot be satisfied with all of the water on the planet.  She also compares the incompleteness of two halves to one whole.  The two halves are her and her husband and the whole would be her and him united.  She expresses the love and bond she has made with him and it truly warms my heart to read about it.  In fact, her poem gives me hope and has made me dream about my life coming to this place eventually.  The place in which you are no longer just living for yourself but you have discovered this completely new conception of your purpose.  For now, I can only look forward to this time in my life, whether it be sooner or later, but Anne helps me see how it is to love unconditionally.  Being a teenager, it has been hard to experience this feeling.  I have had my share of flings with other guys but they have never materialized in such a way as love.  But, I can imagine how great it must feel to be in Anne's shoes.  She knows that when she goes home at night, she'll see the reason she was put on Earth, the reason she was given a soul and a heart.  I am unbelievably jealous of Anne because I would love to skip over all of this awkward time of meeting guys and finding out who I am.  But, Anne must have gone through this too to find her other half so I guess the journey is unavoidable.  I am sure Anne would be pleased that even a young girl in Delaware in the twenty-first century has taken her feelings put to paper so seriously and thankfully.  Also, this poem serves purpose to anyone.  All can relate to it, even if you are not married because you could be like me and have no current relationship and find it meaningful and relatable.  Humans were made to love and created to serve others and Anne's work reminds me that this is to come in my life and that I should not give up hope yet.  So thanks, Anne.

1 comment:

  1. Easier in her time, I think. All girls knew they were meant to be wives. For some, finding love i a marriage was just lucky. For us, it is worth the wait. If it helps, men have to wait too!

    ReplyDelete