Sunday, May 5, 2013

How "Sisterhood" Inspired Me

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is one of my favorite stories and I think it is because it inspires me to improve my life.  During the course of being a teenage girl, and over the four long years of high school, I have found time when it has been hard to stay true to myself.  There have been so many influences around me wanting to mold and change every part of me, but I think I have done a good job at keeping myself straight.  And simple reminders of this path, like the book, have helped so much in doing so.  The reason I find the book moving is because every character grows more into who they are supposed to be throughout the journey of the book.  They are all teenage girls too, so that helps me relate.  But it makes me think about my life and who I want to be and surround myself with because they all have such a deep relationship with each other.  Finding those who you can truly call family without being legitimately related to is hard, but I know I have found some people like that over the years just as the girls did in Sisterhood.  Also, each girl meets someone new who helps mold them into who they are supposed to be and I love that because each story is different.  Lena meet Kostos and he helped her break down her defensive walls shielding her from love and being vulnerable.  Bridget met the guy at camp who helped herself realize that she needed to come to terms with her mother's death and that she needs to be true to her virtues.  Tibby meets Bailey who helps her open her heart to someone and finally feel love from another human being. And lastly, Carmen sees her dad for the first time in a while and she allows herself to let go of the grudge she has held against him for many years.  So reading about these beautiful stories makes me want to take a step back and reevaluate my life.  I may need to change some of the things about myself that I never though to before, but it would be for the better and I am grateful a nice story like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants helped me to do so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment